Blustery weather and a couple of competing shows elsewhere in the region likely affected the turnout and number of sleds on exhibit for Saturday’s 7th Annual AK Vintage Snowmobile Show in East Grand Forks, but organizers still put together a great event.
As always, some very old — and very unusual — sleds were on display outside the Blue Moose.
I reported on the show in a story that appeared in Sunday’s Herald and other Forum Communications newspapers, but the listing of show winners wasn’t available before my deadline Saturday afternoon.
Merlyn Werner of East Grand Forks, one of the show’s organizers, sent me the results Tuesday. I judged the Media’s Choice category, and while I’m a Polaris guy — being from Roseau, Minn., you pretty much have to be — I had to give the nod to the 1969 Ski-Doo Model 12/3 that Todd Grabanski of East Grand Forks entered in the show. I’ve always had a soft spot for the look of those old Ski-Doos, and the ‘69 that Grabanski had on display was in flawless condition.
For next year’s show and from here on out, Werner said the show’s top trophy will be called the Art Seydel Memorial Trophy, in honor of Art Seydel, a vintage snowmobile enthusiast from East Grand Forks who passed away in February 2017 at age 79. Seydel raced in several competitions over the years, including the Winnipeg to St. Paul I-500 race from 1971 to 1975. Al and Timmy Seydel of East Grand Forks will judge and pick the winner of the trophy, Werner said.
Here are the full results from Saturday’s show.
Todd Grabanski East Grand Forks, 1972 Viking Vanguard.
Todd Grabanski East Grand Forks, 1969 Ski-Doo 12/3.
- First: Hatton Men’s Club, Hatton, N.D., 1974 John Deere 600.
- Second: Mario Hoyt, Grand Forks, 1976 John Deere Liquifire Winnipeg to St. Paul I-500 sled.
- Third: Lydia Kozel, East Grand Forks, 1978 Kitty Kat.
- First: Todd Grabanski, East Grand Forks, 1969 Ski-Doo 12/3.
- Second: Terry Carson, Walhalla, N.D., 1975 Ski-Doo TNT.
- Third: Dave Adams, Reynolds, N.D., 1981 Arctic Cat El Tigre
- First: Todd Grabanski, East Grand Forks, 1972 Polaris Starfire 335.
- Second: Steve Peterson, Surrey, N.D., 1969 Panther 795.
- Third: Randy Cwikla, Detroit Lakes, Minn., 1975 Polaris Sno-Pro Don Omdahl clone.
- First: Dave Hillesland, Aneta, N.D., 1971 Arctic Cat Panther Winnipeg to St. Paul I-500 racer.
- Second: Ed Boura, Grafton, N.D., 1975 Sno Jet Thunder Jet.
- Third: Dave Hillesland, Aneta, N.D., 1972 Arctic Cat EXT.
- First: Dave Hillesland, Aneta, N.D., 1971 Arctic Cat Panther.
- Second: Scott Peterson, Thompson, N.D., 1980 Arctic Cat El Tigre.
- Third: Jerome Johnson, East Grand Forks Mn 1973 Ski-Doo 295 TNT.