You know summer’s not far away in Grand Forks and East Grand Forks when plans start taking shape for the Red River Valley Catfish League.
Along those lines, Grand Forks catfish guide Brad Durick sent me some information this morning about the upcoming catfish league season.
First up, league organizers again this year are holding at Open House for prospective anglers to sign up for the season, meet other anglers, go fishing or just ask questions. The Open House is set for 6 to 9 p.m. May 3.
“We hope to have a couple boats on hand to take people out for a bit if they are unsure about the river,” Durick said. “It is just a ‘fun night,’ so to speak.”
This year’s league season will expand to 12 weeks from 10 and will get underway May 10 at the North Landing, alternating Wednesday nights with the LaFave Park boat landing below Cabela’s in East Grand Forks.
The Wednesday night league sessions wrap up Aug. 9 at LaFave Park, with off weeks scheduled for June 21 so anglers can prepare for the Scheels Boundary Battle catfish tournament set for June 24-25, and July 5 because of the July 4 holiday.
Other events on the calendar:
- June 24-25: Scheels Boundary Battle Tournament.
- July 26: Special league night (Cats Incredible Week), in which anglers don’t need to be club members to fish but only have to pay the $10 boat entry fee.
- Aug. 12: Year End Tournament at the North Landing. Also part of the sew I-29 Catfish Classic set for Aug. 12-13. This event combines the totals year-ending tourney with the Drayton Rod and Reel Rally on the river in Drayton, N.D. Anglers must enter both the year-end and Drayton Rod and Reel Rally events to participate in the I-29 Catfish Classic. Contact Durick at (701) 739-5808 for more information on that tournament.
Here are some other details about the upcoming Red River Valley Catfish League season and some optional side competitions available to league anglers:
- $20 Club Membership.
- $10 entry per boat on league nights.
- Stray Cat (Biggest combined weight for the season — top 7 totals): $40/person.
- Fat Cat (Biggest Cat of the Season): $30/person.
- Mystery Partner (Top 7 Totals): $25/person.
- Anglers of the Year: All participants are entered.
The catfish league had a comeback year in 2016, Durick said.
“We added optional contests, and we had an information pipeline so people could get updates and know what is going on,” he said. “We averaged 15 boats per week, up from eight in 2014 and 2015. Many new faces got involved and many new friendships have been made.”