Morning Storm Prevents Scheduling Mixup

You get lucky sometimes.

Such was the case this morning, when I pulled the plug on a fishing trip to Devils Lake with professional fisherman, guide and fishing gear pitchman Brian Brosdahl.

Brian “Bro” Brosdahl admires a 26.5-inch walleye he caught in June 2012 on Cass Lake.

“Bro,” as he’s best known, lives in Max, Minn., a hamlet in the boonies of northern Minnesota’s Itasca County. Arguably one of the most recognizable anglers in Minnesota, Bro is one of those true outdoor characters you run across in this business, and we’ve fished together a number of times over the years. So, when he emailed me last Thursday and said he was going to be fishing Devils Lake “next week” for the upcoming Cabela’s National Walleye Tour championship, I jumped at the invitation to join him for a day.

Bro’s always good for a story or two, after all.

The timing seemed odd since the championship dates are Sept. 19-21, but I didn’t give it much thought. So when I texted Bro on Saturday night and said all systems were go for “Monday,” I assumed we were talking about meeting up this morning in Devils Lake.

I was awakened by rain and lightning early this morning, and when the radar showed a fairly large weather system covering the region, I decided spending the day at a nice, dry desk sounded considerably more appealing than spending a stormy Monday on Devils Lake.

So, I texted Bro shortly after 7 a.m. and said I was canceling and hoped a rain check could be arranged sometime down the road.

He texted back a few minutes later with this reply:

“No problem. Is it bad next Monday? That’s the day — not today.”

Fortunately Mother Nature intervened in this little scheduling mixup. If she hadn’t, I would have made an early morning drive to Devils Lake for naught.

“OMG” was Bro’s reply when he learned I’d thought we were meeting up today.

What the weather’s going to be like next Monday remains to be seen, but one thing’s for sure: The odds of hooking up for a day of fishing with Bro will be considerably better than they would have been if I’d driven to Devils Lake this morning.

Here’s hoping the weather cooperates.